Vote MIHALYFY for 11th ward alderman.
We are a classic hardworking neighborhood. When we “let our light shine,” we make a great community even better
- Fairer taxation: Let’s honor our pension obligations by taxing big banks and luxury goods, before we ask working people to pay any more.
- Quality jobs and lower cost-of-living through solar: Just like other cities, let’s fund free installation of home solar panels. This direct investment creates construction jobs. And, cheaper electricity gives people extra cash to spend locally, and to repay the initial loan!
- A newly-built neighborhood high school: In addition to uplifting all our schools, let’s fight for a newly-built neighborhood high school to serve Chinatown ~ Armour Square ~ Bridgeport ~ University Village. Our kids deserve shorter commutes and more time with family and friends.
- Youth mural projects: Let’s make a Chicago-flag inspired “mural corridor” between the Halsted and Sox/35th L stops. This tourist attraction will brighten our streets and create meaningful work for our young people.
- A revitalized Ramova Theater: Let’s reopen the Ramova as a non-profit movie house with affordable showings of kids movies, films in Chinese and Spanish, and recent blockbusters. A larger complex could also provide rehearsal and performance space for local dance and theater companies.
Everyone knows that a prosperous and vibrant community is a safe and happy community.
David MIHALYFY is a labor and education activist who’s fought for what’s best for everyone.
A Rust Belt native, he’s Polish on his mom’s side, and his dad’s a Hungarian immigrant who fled the Soviets with his family.
David understands the current economy because he’s lived it. Although he’s been fortunate to receive a good education, the decline of full-time jobs with benefits has caused him to work multiple short-term and low-wage jobs a year (elder care, teaching, tutoring, library work).
During this time, he has fought in many unionization drives, including 2 recent campaigns that brought 2500+ workers into AFT-IFT and 200+ workers into Teamsters Local 743.
He has also done financial investigative reporting on college student debt and “where the money goes.”
Paid for by Friends of Mihalyfy